среда, 28 марта 2018 г.

How to Create a Design Board and Where to Start Designing a Room

How to Create a Design Board and Where to Start Designing a Room

I have gotten asked a lot lately how I create my Design Boards or some call them a Mood Board. This is not just something for designers. It is so helpful in pulling any room together. Or helping you achieve your “look” for your home.This is a MUST before you start buying a thing for a room. The first step I take in designing a room is to make a plan. DO NOT just go out and purchase things, I can’t stress this enough. You will waste a lot of money, time and end up far from the look you are trying to achieve.


These are the steps I take when designing the room


#1- List anything that is a must for the room, either a must-stay or must-have


#2- Make a simple floor plan of the space. You can find drafting paper HERE that each square is one foot. Really anyone can sketch a room to scale. I also use a furniture template like THIS with the basic furniture pieces that are to scale.


#3- Pick one inspiration piece BEFORE you look for an inspiration photo. I typically like to look for a rug as the starting off point. A pillow or piece of art could also be an inspiration piece.


#4- Look for pieces online and use them for your Design Board. You might not actually purchase them online but they will be the “idea” of what your dream room would look like.


#5- Create a Design Board a “Dream Board” a “Mood Board” whatever you call it- it will be your instruction manual!! Stick to it!


#6- If you get stuck then head to Pinterest! I have been working on our bathroom and having a hard time deciding on wether to doing tile up the wall or shiplap. So I typed in both of those options in Pinterest, looked at photos and that helped to confirm my choice.


How to create a Design Board that is FREE and EASY

There are A LOT of ways to create a Design Board and I have tested a lot. I found that this way is the easiest, fastest and most customizable. I use www.picmonkey.com and I do pay the extra to have more options and to be able to save my creations. (I believe you can do a trial period for free then decide if you want to keep it).


How to create a Design Board


  • On the Top Menu Bar and select DESIGN then CUSTOM SIZE you can choose your size or leave it the 2000×2000 I typically change mine to vertical for my blog and go with 1160×2000 then select MAKE IT
  • How to create a Design Board that is FREE and EASY
    On the Left Hand Menu Bar there is a BUTTERFLY click on that. Then at the top you will see ADD YOUR OWN this is where you can add in any graphics you want on your design board after you select MY COMPUTER.

How to create a Design Board that is FREE and EASY

  • The easiest way to get those images you want on your design board is to screen shot them when you are on a web site. That way you can crop around the image and get just what you want to show up on your design board.

How to create a Design Board that is FREE and EASY

  • Once you insert your image you can shrink it down to size and layer and group as your heart desires!
  • If you want TEXT on the Design Board just click on the Tt and add text where you want it.
  • I like to add a GEOMETRIC SHAPE behind the text (that option is under the BUTTERFLY too).

Here are just a few of the Design Boards I have created for clients in the past. Hope it helps to get you started on yours!


How to create a Design Board that is FREE and EASY

Family room with a little secretary desk.


How to create a Design Board that is FREE and EASY

Shared kids bedroom above and family room below.


How to create a Design Board that is FREE and EASY

Here is an example when I create a Design Board for my blog. Sometimes to have cram in a lot more to show every piece and idea for the room. And that is even better because you can get a full feel of the space! You can see THIS nursery if you missed it HERE and see how true it actually looks to my Design Board!


Nursery with DIY Window Seat and Built-in-Bookcase

Remember to stick to the plan and save yourself time and frustration!


Join my newsletter subscription and get a chance to get your design question answered LIVE or on the blog!


Original article and pictures take nestingwithgrace.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий